The following are the words of Edna Koelfgen, Archway Publishing author of “Beyond Coincidence.” For more on the author, visit her Facebook page. Download the Archway Publishing free publishing guide for more information on our supported self-publishing services.
Achieving my dream of becoming a published author at age 74 gave me the courage to continue writing. It has taken me over 18 years to create my first book.
By the year 1999, both of my parents had already gone to Heaven. I thought about many things I wish I had done while they were still on earth. Trying to get my mind off of losing them, I had to do something to live a life filled with many of those things. I began to write! A plot idea had popped into my mind that I might be able to include some unusual happenings that they had witnessed.
Selecting a Publisher
I finished penning my book in 2017 before I began searching online for a self-publisher, which took over a month. Remembering when I became bold enough to fill out the online form to receive the Archway Publishing guide, “Your Path to Publishing Success,” every part of the process was invigorating.
Each Archway person from beginning to the end of the self-publishing path taught me many things that I hope I never forget. To me, it was like learning a new language. I felt like I was back in school and had the best teachers, whose expertise was continuously shared with me. Every question I posed was quickly answered, and each individual leader I worked with was patient, courteous and always paid close attention to every detail.
Marketing My Book
One of the most difficult areas for me right now is marketing. Not being able to afford the professional advertising services offered, I went ahead with my own way of reaching possible readers and have accomplished the following:
• Posting information about my historical fiction “Beyond Coincidence” on my personal Facebook page
• Composing and sending several kinds of blanket emails for different groups of people I’ve known for a long time
• Making a business-type card that identifies my book title, my author name, Archway Publishing website, ISBN numbers, Copyright © 2017, Published date, ISBN numbers, Library of Congress Control Number
• Produced flyers for handing out to many places, e.g. libraries, other booksellers, a number of different retail establishments located in my hometown and other close-by places
• Setting up my Archway Author Account in order to learn new things
Blogging About My Book
• Accepting the invitation from the Archway Publishing Marketing Team to be a guest blogger – I must admit here that I’ve never before participated in a blog setting. If my words are in line with Archway Publishing guidelines, this will be my first time on a blog.
• As I’m a neophyte during this author stage of my life (when I don’t personally know the folks who will be reading my words), it’s a real challenge to express my feelings. The road ahead for all of us is obviously unknown. I do believe that by sticking to your own true morals and doing your best in all circumstances you face will bring you peacefulness. I, also, do a lot of praying.
• All of my life when I bumped into roadblocks such as this marketing one, I take a break and focus on other things surrounding me. I count my blessings and thank the Lord for everything I have…good or bad…because learning from each circumstance provides wisdom. Is it okay here (?) in this situation to cite the King James Version of the Bible – Romans 8:28 – “…all things work together for good to them that love God…”.
• I highly respect many authors and their individual voices as displayed in their own style. Each one of us is unique!
Archway Publishing is always looking for content for its blog. If you’re an Archway Publishing author and would like to share a guest blog post, please visit our Blog Guidelines Page.